|Joe Hockey: you didn't tell the truth on Sunrise|
He said to Tony Burke that people are "concerned about rising electricity costs, and it's because of your carbon tax"
The facts about electricity price increases
Here are the key facts about the electricity price increases:
- Electricity prices began rising from 2005, when the Liberal government was in power
- Electricity prices have risen 30% over the past four years
- The largest factor in price increases is the need to replace and upgrade the ageing poles and wires of the national electricity grid, some of which have been in service for more than 40 years.
- Increases in demand have increased wholesale prices and transmission and distribution prices
- Renewable energy certificates (RETs) must be purchased by energy retailers (nothing to do with the carbon tax) which have increased costs
- State and federal governments regulate the price of electricity through the National Electricity Market (except WA which has a separate regulator). They consider the cost increases incurred to set the prices.
Clean Energy Australia
Reserve Bank of Australia
Roger Dargaville, Uni of Melb
Joe Hockey knows the facts
These facts about electricity pricing are well known to Joe Hockey, he just chose to ignore them when he made his claim this morning. He must be brought to account.
Politicians and other public figures cannot be allowed to make statements that are blatant lies
Let me know what you think.